University of Nevada, Las Vegas Summer Tech Camps
UNLV summer programs for kids & teens
Computer Camps Held at UNLV
In 1999, our independent family company set out to reinvent “camp” for the 21st century. Today, we’re the number #1 tech camp on the planet, with summer technology programs for kids and teens held at over 100 campuses nationwide. At the University of Nevada in Las Vegas, NV, we offer co-ed iD Tech Camps for ages 7-17. Learn code, game design, app development, web design, film, photography, and more. Kick-start your dream job and gain a competitive edge for college!
At select locations, other co-ed options include intensive 2-week, pre-college iD Tech Academies for teens ages 13-18 and iD Tech Mini for ages 6-9. We also offer Alexa Café, an all-girls program for ages 10-15. Experience personalized learning with a maximum of 8 students per instructor, and use the best brand name products from industry leaders like Adobe®, Apple®, Autodesk®, Google, and Microsoft®. Innovative courses. Your pace. Your internalDrive.
Please note: This is a day-only program. Overnight stays are not available at this location.
Summer 2015 Courses & Dates
iD Tech Camps Program Details
Co-Ed | Weeklong | Programming, Game Design, Apps, Robotics, Web Design, Film, Photography, and More
Our summer computer camps for kids, pre-teens, and teens are segmented by course and age. Teens will study, socialize and eat with other teens, but may be in the vicinity of younger students during lab time. Yes, we’re a tech camp, but we do not sit in front of digital devices all day. We provide a well-balanced, fun summer camp experience that is age-appropriate for kids, pre-teens, and teens. Imagine a small group learning environment where the curriculum is tailored to you. A place where you build critical 21st century STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) skills in intimate clusters of just 8 students maximum per instructor, and collaborate with new friends.
You’ll gain confidence, explore a unique college campus, and get a taste of the collegiate experience. This isn’t just camp. It’s a portal to a fulfilling future, in college and beyond. Kids camps and teen camps encompass courses in programming with Java™, C++, Python™, Scratch, and more, app development with iPhone® and Android™, Minecraft, modding, FPS and RPG game design, robotics engineering with VEX® and LEGO®, 3D modeling & animation, filmmaking, photography, and web design. Course offerings vary by site. View courses at this location. Beginner or advanced, you'll get inspired by energetic, tech-savvy instructors. Do something big this summer!
- 8:1 Ratio Guarantee: We do it differently—this isn’t school. We guarantee 8 students per instructor for personalized learning. Every time.
- Personalized Instruction: Your path, at your pace. Most of our courses are beginner through advanced. If a course has prerequisites, you’ll be notified during registration. You’ll be immersed in a blended learning environment using our iD Game Plan 2.0 engine, along with one-on-one instruction from our team of educators. Our approach allows you to learn at an appropriate, customized pace.
- Project-Based Curriculum: At iD, you learn by doing—it’s hands-on. You’ll work with industry-standard hardware and software, complete a final project, create an online portfolio, and bring your new tech knowledge into the real world.
- All-Adult Instructors: We don’t cut corners by hiring Counselors-in-Training. Instead, we employ energetic, tech-savvy, all-adult instructors to teach our courses and supervise our kids and teens. We recruit from thousands of candidates, and select from the best. It doesn’t hurt that we’ve been named a Top Workplace 6 years in a row, and that we have the reputation as the #1 Tech Camp on the planet. The top talent works at iD.
- Best of the Best: Many iD Tech instructors are students or graduates of prestigious universities like Stanford, MIT, Princeton, and Yale. Some are industry professionals. Others began as iD students and have returned to give back to the next generation of innovators!
- A Taste of College: We eat right in the university dining halls! (If the dining hall is closed, we will bring in catered meals or eat in the university food court). Meal plans are available for Day Campers and Overnight Campers. The food is generally good at most campuses. More and more campuses are paying attention to important details like organic and sustainably-farmed food sources, kosher and vegetarian options, and a variety of overall healthier options.
Safety & Risk Management
- American Camp Association® Accreditation: iD Tech Camps is accredited by the Southern California Region of the ACA—and we spread those best practices to each of our programs across the country. Being ACA accredited means we have met over 300 health and safety requirements.
- Background Checks: We conduct criminal background checks, sexual offender background checks, multiple reference checks and identification checks on all camp staff members.
- CPR & First-Aid: All program locations are staffed with CPR Certified Directors and Instructors.
- Risk Management Training: Our staff members attend in-person risk management training, and our content is updated every year as conditions change.
The following are included in tuition cost:
- Custom iD t-shirt
- iD Diploma with instructor insights
- 8:1 student to instructor ratio guarantee
- Final project portfolio with pen drive
- Access to online curriculum after camp
- Campus tours (most locations)
- Outdoor activities
- Gaming tournaments
- Software savings (most courses)
- New skills and self-confidence
- Tech Rocket (year-round subscription)
- Accredited Continuing Education Units (ages 13+)
- Ultimate Gaming Weekends (available at select locations, ages 10+)
Click here to learn about our Tuition Assistance Program.
About University of Nevada, Las Vegas
This is our 4th season hosting Las Vegas summer camps at UNLV. We strike the right balance between off-computer activities (creative games, sports, life skills, etc.) and essential technology education to foster STEM skill development (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). Our popular UNLV summer day camps are located in Paradise, Nevada, a suburb of Las Vegas.
We have chosen the UNLV campus to host our summer kids' computer camps, academic camps and teen camps in the Las Vegas area because of its central location and rich tradition of academic research. UNLV has aggressively expanded both its student facilities and its research activities, as well as championing sustainability efforts.
Located in the most populous city in Nevada, Las Vegas, UNLV covers 332 acres of land and boasts approximately 28,000 students. It is also home to the prestigious Information Science Research Institute (ISRI), a research and development unity with the mission of fostering the improvement of automated technologies. The urban setting of the campus makes it perfect for students who want a summer technology program in Nevada. It is conveniently located near McCarran International Airport, close to both camps and the Las Vegas Strip.
Please note: Map and campus details are for general information only. Once you enroll, you will have access to our specific location on campus.
University of Nevada, Las Vegas Facts
Student Population: Around 28,000, with approximately 22,000 undergraduates and 6,000 graduate students.
Rankings: U.S. News & World Report ranked UNLV at No. 25 of most popular universities by yield (the percentage of accepted applicants who choose to enroll).
Distinguished Alumni & Personnel: Notable alumni include television host and comedian Jimmy Kimmel, as well as U.S. Congressswoman Shelley Berkley and U.S. Senator John Ensign. Distinguished faculty include Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka.
Athletics: The Rebels have varsity teams in 17 different sports, but is most known for its men's basketball team, its golf program, and its swimming and diving team.
Testimonials from University of Nevada, Las Vegas
What Parents Are Saying
"My student seemed so interested and liked it so much and was eager to come back every day." -Penn J., Parent, UNLV
"We sincerely appreciate the professionalism, the experience, and the passionate know-how!" -Khanh L., Parent, UNLV
"This week really brought out the best in my son. The camp directors were willing to change his course-work so that he would be challenged and learn something he hadn't as yet experienced. He didn't want to leave each day—he wanted to stay as late as he possibly could! This was a great week." -Marni L., Parent, UNLV
"The course was great. My son was motivated to come everyday and get to work on his project. You all did a great job in encouraging him and promoting his skills. Thank you." -Trent M., Parent, UNLV
"My daughter enjoyed her camp experience and learned quite a lot." -Teresa M., Parent, UNLV
"Brandon described the camp as 'heaven on earth.'" -Marci R., Parent, UNLV
"iD Tech Camps was awesome! My daughter enjoyed herself. Next year we will enroll our son." -Pennye D., Parent, UNLV
What Campers Are Saying
"It was awesome. I was exposed to a lot of new content and by the end of the week had a surprisingly good handle on the basics and the engine." -Wesley W., Student, UNLV
"I LOVED it. I want to come back for years to come. I hope this will be in Las Vegas for a LOONGG time. iD = AWESOME!!" -Bella T., Student, UNLV
"I enjoyed the camp immensely! The instructors were great, the atmosphere exciting, and the learning enlightening!" -Alex B., Student, UNLV
"The staff provided an amazing experience and made me feel involved in the class." -Tyler G., Student, UNLV
"iD Tech Camps was an inspirational help to me in learning Java™. I will not only remember everything I learned but also never forget the friendships I have made." -Elad R., Student, UNLV
iD in the News
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
July 16, 2014
What do you get when you combine the world’s #1 tech camp with an award-winning TV series from Time Warner Cable’s Connect a Million Minds? A pretty cool It Ain’t Rocket Science video feature! “From robots to game design, the students are spending their summer immersed in all things digital.” The footage captured our camps [...]Read More
July 1, 2014
First it was Vanderbilt, then it was Towson, now it's iD Tech Camps held at the University of Denver featured in a recent local news story! FOX31 Denver sent the cameras out to our summer programs at DU to capture a little 3D game design, Minecraft, and all-around summer fun. As stated in the clip, [...]Read More
June 25, 2013
By Christina A. Cassidy ...So-called coding camps for children are becoming more popular amid a growing effort to expand access to computer programming and inspire more youths to seek computer science degrees and careers in technology. Their rise underscores a seeming mismatch in the U.S. economy: people like Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Tumblr founder [...]Read More
Camp Minecraft: How educators use the block-building game to inspire kids to code - Article as Appeared on VentureBeat.com
April 17, 2013
By Jeffrey Grubb April 17, 2013 Summer camp used to mean swimming, hiking, and bonfires. These days it could mean mines, exploding creepers, and Java™Script. Educational group iD Tech Camps is using the block-building sandbox Minecraft and other games to teach children about science, technology, education, and math (STEM). The organization holds its camps over [...]Read More
April 12, 2012
This morning, NBC's Kathie Lee and Hoda sat down with Rory Halperin of Time Out New York Kids magazine to talk summer camps. One of their favorites? iD Tech Camps! Check out the clip below for the full segment where they touch on game programming for kids, app development, and more. Visit msnbc.com for breaking [...]Read More
August 4, 2011
Junior programmers are flocking to Stanford, MIT, and elsewhere to hone their app-writing skills By George Anders Michael Matias traveled 7,400 miles to camp this summer. Usually the 15-year-old computer enthusiast finds plenty to do in Tel Aviv, his hometown. But when a friend won renown as a hotshot programmer after attending a California tech [...]Read More