Summer Tech Camps Held at UCLA
Programs for kids & teens held at UCLA
Computer Camps Held at UCLA
- Other Programs at this Location
In 1999, our independent family company set out to reinvent “camp” for the 21st century. Today, we’re the number #1 tech camp on the planet, with co-ed summer technology programs for kids and teens held at over 100 prestigious campuses nationwide. At UCLA, we offer two distinct programs: iD Tech Camps and iD Programming Academy.
At select locations, we also offer iD Game Design & Development Academy, Alexa Café, and iD Tech Mini. Experience personalized learning with a maximum of 8 students per instructor, and use the best brand name products from industry leaders like Adobe®, Apple®, Autodesk®, Google, and Microsoft®. Innovative courses. Your pace. Your internalDrive.
Please note: This program is NOT affiliated with nor endorsed by the UCLA School of Theater, Film and Television and its UCLA Arts Camp.
Summer 2015 Courses & Dates
iD Tech Camps Program Details
Co-Ed | Weeklong | Programming, Game Design, Apps, Robotics, Web Design, Film, Photography, and More
Our summer computer camps for kids, pre-teens, and teens are segmented by course and age. Teens will study, socialize and eat with other teens, but may be in the vicinity of younger students during lab time. Yes, we’re a tech camp, but we do not sit in front of digital devices all day. We provide a well-balanced, fun summer camp experience that is age-appropriate for kids, pre-teens, and teens. Imagine a small group learning environment where the curriculum is tailored to you. A place where you build critical 21st century STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) skills in intimate clusters of just 8 students maximum per instructor, and collaborate with new friends.
You’ll gain confidence, explore a unique college campus, and get a taste of the collegiate experience. This isn’t just camp. It’s a portal to a fulfilling future, in college and beyond. Kids camps and teen camps encompass courses in programming with Java™, C++, Python™, Scratch, and more, app development with iPhone® and Android™, Minecraft, modding, FPS and RPG game design, robotics engineering with VEX® and LEGO®, 3D modeling & animation, filmmaking, photography, and web design. Course offerings vary by site. View courses at this location. Beginner or advanced, you'll get inspired by energetic, tech-savvy instructors. Do something big this summer!
- 8:1 Ratio Guarantee: We do it differently—this isn’t school. We guarantee 8 students per instructor for personalized learning. Every time.
- Personalized Instruction: Your path, at your pace. Most of our courses are beginner through advanced. If a course has prerequisites, you’ll be notified during registration. You’ll be immersed in a blended learning environment using our iD Game Plan 2.0 engine, along with one-on-one instruction from our team of educators. Our approach allows you to learn at an appropriate, customized pace.
- Project-Based Curriculum: At iD, you learn by doing—it’s hands-on. You’ll work with industry-standard hardware and software, complete a final project, create an online portfolio, and bring your new tech knowledge into the real world.
- All-Adult Instructors: We don’t cut corners by hiring Counselors-in-Training. Instead, we employ energetic, tech-savvy, all-adult instructors to teach our courses and supervise our kids and teens. We recruit from thousands of candidates, and select from the best. It doesn’t hurt that we’ve been named a Top Workplace 5 years in a row, and that we have the reputation as the #1 Tech Camp on the planet. The top talent works at iD.
- Best of the Best: Many iD Tech instructors are students or graduates of prestigious universities like Stanford, MIT, Princeton, and Yale. Some are industry professionals. Others began as iD students and have returned to give back to the next generation of innovators!
- A Taste of College: We eat right in the university dining halls! (If the dining hall is closed, we will bring in catered meals or eat in the university food court). Meal plans are available for Day Campers and Overnight Campers. The food is generally good at most campuses. More and more campuses are paying attention to important details like organic and sustainably-farmed food sources, kosher and vegetarian options, and a variety of overall healthier options.
Safety & Risk Management
- American Camp Association® Accreditation: iD Tech Camps is accredited by the Southern California Region of the ACA—and we spread those best practices to each of our programs across the country. Being ACA accredited means we have met over 300 health and safety requirements.
- Background Checks: We conduct criminal background checks, sexual offender background checks, multiple reference checks and identification checks on all camp staff members.
- CPR & First-Aid: All program locations are staffed with CPR Certified Directors and Instructors.
- Risk Management Training: Our staff members attend in-person risk management training, and our content is updated every year as conditions change.
The following are included in tuition cost:
- Custom iD t-shirt
- iD Diploma with instructor insights
- 8:1 student to instructor ratio guarantee
- Final project portfolio with pen drive
- Access to online curriculum after camp
- Campus tours (most locations)
- Outdoor activities
- Gaming tournaments
- Software savings (most courses)
- New skills and self-confidence
- Tech Rocket (year-round subscription)
- Accredited Continuing Education Units (ages 13+)
- Ultimate Gaming Weekends (available at select locations, ages 10+)
Click here to learn about our Tuition Assistance Program.
This is our 16th season hosting summer camps at the University of California, Los Angeles campus. We strike the right balance between off-computer activities (creative games, sports, life skills, etc.) and essential technology education to foster STEM skill development (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics). Our popular UCLA summer day camps and overnight camps are among a handful of elite CA summer camps in Orange County accredited by the American Camp Association.
Our summer camp held at UCLA is located in the residential neighborhood of Westwood/Bel Air in Los Angeles, California (approximately 15 minutes from Hollywood). During their stay, campers may have the opportunity to walk to local shops and movie theatres in Westwood Village. Movie and television stars are often sighted. UCLA also boasts the best dining halls in the nation!
UCLA has a world-renowned reputation in research and technology. Many of its programs are rated among the best in the nation and the world. UCLA faculty members have received four Nobel Prizes and seven National Medals of Science. It is the most sought-after university in California.
Los Angeles International Airport is located approximately 12 miles south of our Los Angeles, CA summer camps, making UCLA the perfect day camp and overnight camp option for our Southern California summer computer camps. Come check out our awesome summer camp held at UCLA!
Please note: Map and campus details are for general information only. Once you enroll, you will have access to our specific location on campus.
Mascot: UCLA Bruins
UCLA Academics: UCLA's College of Letters and Sciences (humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical sciences, and the International Institute) has 34 academic departments and 900 faculty. The majority of UCLA's 129 undergraduate majors can be found in the College of Letters and Sciences.
Student Population: UCLA has approximately 25,000 undergraduate and 11,000 graduate students. In 2009, UCLA was named the "most selective" public university in the entire United States, beating out Northern California's UC Berkeley.
Rankings: With its rich history and prestige, UCLA continuously has more applicants than any other university in the US. It is 12th in Newsweek's Top 100 Global universities ranking, and in 2007, it was ranked 13th in the world by the Institute of Higher Education at Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China. UCLA's undergraduate program is ranked second among public universities in the United States.
Athletics: UCLA's Bruins participate in NCAA Division I-A as part of the Pac Ten Conference alongside Southern California rival USC. UCLA's football team plays home games at the well known Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California; UCLA's men's basketball team (made famous by the legendary John Wooden who coached the team to 10 NCAA championships) plays its games at Pauley Pavilion. UCLA's athletic teams have won a staggering 104 NCAA team championships as of 2009, more than any other university.
Distinguished Alumni and Personnel: Two current faculty members (and four former faculty) and four alumni have been awarded the Nobel Prize for their work in science and peace. UCLA alumni have also accomplished the following: 15 Academy Award winners, 10 National Medal of Science winners, 3 Pulitzer Prize winners, and 1 Pritzker Prize in Architecture winner. A number of professional athletes have come out of the university.
Testimonials from UCLA
What Parents Are Saying
"I want to thank you so much for giving my son a gift that he will always cherish. He went to the Flash animation class at UCLA two summers ago. He also went to the Maya class at UC Irvine last summer. I bought the CS4 suite for him and the Maya suite. Nathan has concentrated on Flash and has since posted a project on deviantArt." -Kimberlyn H., Parent, UCLA
"My son is seven and this is the first time he's ever LOVED camp. I asked him his favorite part of camp and he said "EVERYTHING!" And the final games he created blew me away!" -Marjorie S., Parent, UCLA
"My son's 5th summer with iD Tech Camps has been another great experience for him. You have our confidence that he is safe, well fed and comfortable for the time he is away from home. He will be back! Thanks to all." -Susan C., Parent, UCLA
"My son has been attending iD Tech Camps at UCLA for the last four years in a row. He absolutely loves it and looks forward to attending every year. We pick two weeks during the summer of courses he's interested in and they never disappoint. Through this camp, my son took away the confidence to create three steady performing apps on the Mac Store. One is called "Teleprompter" and he has been getting positive feedback from all over the world." -Bethann B., Parent, UCLA
"My son's instructor was outstanding. She was helpful, courteous, but most importantly, patient. She was extremely intelligent and we hope to have her again as an instructor either this year or next." -Todd W., Parent, UCLA
What Campers Are Saying
"I have learned so much at iD Tech Camps! It was a blast working with Autodesk Maya and it really helps to have an awesome instructor. iD is the place to be!" -Lindsay S., Student, UCLA
"The counselors were relatable, and seemed to really "connect" with us children without trying too hard. The gaming tournaments were very fun and competitive." -Noah M., Student, UCLA
"I loved iD Tech Camps at UCLA! All of the instructors were so nice, and all of the questions were answered within a few seconds. The software we used was perfect for making RPGs!" -Matthew B., Student, UCLA
"I learned a lot more about photography than I ever thought was possible in one week - and the week didn't even seem long. I had an AWESOME time...the counselors were super cool and nice. I had a great time and wish I could have stayed longer!!" -Amanda F., Student, UCLA
"The amount of knowledge you acquire in a day is phenomenal. You feel like you learned weeks of skills in just a matter of hours. The staff are all great people - they're funny and take the time to connect to their students. Overall, the experience was amazing, and I had the time of my life." -Aaron J., Student, UCLA
iD in the News
July 10, 2014
NPR listeners were recently treated to a little talk about iD Tech Camps! Adriene Hill of NPR's Marketplace paid a visit to our UCLA summer tech camps, touching on the benefits of a camp for coding along with those of camps with canoes, campfires, and ghost stories. Have a listen by clicking the player below, [...]Read More
Kids program their own adventures at iD Tech Camps in Pomona - Article as Written by Inland Valley Daily Bulletin
July 12, 2013
By Beau Yarbrough July 12, 2013 POMONA -- They sat quietly in an air-conditioned room decorated with images of video game characters and icons tapping away at their keyboards: This is summer camp in 2013. Almost two dozen students, ages 7 through 17, were sitting in a rented computer lab at Cal Poly Pomona taking [...]Read More
June 25, 2013
By Christina A. Cassidy ...So-called coding camps for children are becoming more popular amid a growing effort to expand access to computer programming and inspire more youths to seek computer science degrees and careers in technology. Their rise underscores a seeming mismatch in the U.S. economy: people like Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Tumblr founder [...]Read More
April 23, 2013
The number of summer camps geared toward video game development has doubled since 2012, according to one video game research and advocacy group. By Jared Morgan April 23, 2013 If you're looking to supplement your child's exposure to STEM education in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics, then why not enroll them in [...]Read More
Camp Minecraft: How educators use the block-building game to inspire kids to code - Article as Appeared on VentureBeat.com
April 17, 2013
By Jeffrey Grubb April 17, 2013 Summer camp used to mean swimming, hiking, and bonfires. These days it could mean mines, exploding creepers, and Java™Script. Educational group iD Tech Camps is using the block-building sandbox Minecraft and other games to teach children about science, technology, education, and math (STEM). The organization holds its camps over [...]Read More
April 12, 2012
This morning, NBC's Kathie Lee and Hoda sat down with Rory Halperin of Time Out New York Kids magazine to talk summer camps. One of their favorites? iD Tech Camps! Check out the clip below for the full segment where they touch on game programming for kids, app development, and more. Visit msnbc.com for breaking [...]Read More