VR with Unity and Oculus Quest 2
- At this time, Unity-based courses cannot be run on Chromebooks.
- The Oculus Quest 2 will require a USB-C connection. If you do not have a USB-C port on your computer, you may need to purchase an adapter like this from Amazon or another retailer.
- Turn on and follow the built-in Oculus setup process to set up your Oculus Quest 2!
- Make sure to use your real Facebook account when making an Oculus account.
- Facebook terms state that to create an account you must be age 13+. If the student is younger than 13, they will need their parent/guardian to connect their Facebook account.
- Please note, to verify your Oculus for development, Oculus will require you to initially attach a credit card to the account. iD Tech will not ask, nor will students be required, to make any purchases through their Oculus account to participate in an iD Tech Program. Please note that Oculus manages all aspects of account creation and the requirements to do so.
To download and install Unity, Unity Hub, and Visual Studio, please follow these steps:
1. Go to the Unity Download Site and click “Download Unity Hub”
2. Once downloaded, click the file to run UnityHubSetup.exe
3. Once the installation is complete, launch Unity Hub.
4. In Unity Hub, navigate to Installs in the left navigation window.
5. Click the blue Add button, then select the Latest Official Release (Unity 2020.1.11F1 or higher).
- The image below is a screenshot of installing Unity 2020.1.12f1, which also works since it’s higher than 2020.1.11F1.
6. Click Next. Make sure Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2019 (or Visual Studio for Mac) is selected.
7. Also expand Android Build Support and check Android SDK & NDK Tools and OpenJDK.
8. Click Next and Done to finish the installation. Agree to any additional pop-ups that may appear.
To create a Unity account, please follow these steps:
1. Create a free Unity account by clicking the top right profile icon in Unity Hub and selecting Sign In and Create Account.
- Check to make sure you have a free Unity license set up as well by selecting your profile icon and going down to Manage License > Activate New License > Unity Personal.
2. Once complete, test to make sure Unity is installed by going back to Projects in the left-hand navigation window and clicking the blue New button. Name the project and click Create.
9. Once the Unity window launches, you are all set!
To download and install MagicaVoxel, please follow these steps:
1. Download MagicaVoxel version 0.99.4
2. Select the correct zip file from the GitHub page depending on your operating system. This will begin the download.
3. Unzip the downloaded file.
On the first day of class, the instructor will spend time helping students activate and become familiar with the software.