iD Game Design & Development Academy Held at Harvard University
Summer Courses for Teens Ages 13-18
iD Game Design & Development Academy Held at Harvard
In 1999, our independent family company set out to reinvent “camp” for the 21st century. Today, we’re the number #1 tech camp on the planet, with summer technology programs for kids and teens held at over 100 campuses nationwide. At Harvard University in Cambridge, MA, we offer co-ed, intensive, 2-week, pre-college iD Game Design & Development Academy for teens ages 13-18.
Co-ed options at other campuses include iD Tech Camps for ages 7-17 and iD Tech Mini for ages 6-9. We also offer Alexa Café, an all-girls program for ages 10-15. Experience personalized learning with a maximum of 8 students per instructor, and use the best brand name products from industry leaders like Adobe®, Apple®, Autodesk®, Google, and Microsoft®. Innovative courses. Your pace. Your internalDrive.
Please note: The iD Game Design & Development Academy is solely owned and operated by iD Tech and is not affiliated with Harvard University. All students attending iD Game Design & Development Academy at Harvard University will study on campus, but will be housed at Bentley University. Additionally, per Massachusetts state law, “This camp must comply with regulations of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and be licensed by the local Board of Health. Parents may request copies of background check, health care and discipline policies as well as procedures for filing grievances.” (105 CMR 430.00, 430.190 C, D)
Summer 2015 Courses & Dates
iD Game Design & Development Academy Program Details
Co-ed | 2 Weeks | Intensive, Pre-College | Video Game Design and Development, Level Design, 3D Modeling & Animation
At iD Game Design & Development Academy, we offer 2-week, intensive programs covering game development, game programming, level design, and 3D modeling. Courses are for beginner to advanced teens ages 13-18. Work with industry-standard applications like Autodesk® Maya®, Adobe® Photoshop®, Unreal® Engine, and more. At our video game camp for teens, you’ll learn from elite faculty, create your own game development portfolio, tour a major game studio, meet new friends, and get a taste of the collegiate lifestyle. This summer, pursue your talents and passions, and gain a competitive advantage for college and beyond.
- Choose from game design camps, 3D modeling & animation courses, 3D level design classes, and more, designed to prepare you for college and your dream career. View all courses at this location.
- Work with professional software from industry leaders including Microsoft®, Autodesk®, and Unity
- Learn from qualified, adult faculty in small, personalized classes of 8 students maximum, guaranteed
- Tour a major game design studio and gain insight from industry professionals
- Show off your gaming skills in LAN tournaments (after instructional time)
- Graduate with an online portfolio
- Receive an (optional) Official Transcript with Continuing Education Units
- Win GUNNAR Advanced Gaming Eyewear glasses at each session
- 8:1 Ratio Guarantee: We do it differently—this isn’t school. We guarantee 8 students per instructor for personalized learning. Every time.
- Personalized Instruction: Your path, at your pace. Most of our courses are beginner through advanced. If a course has prerequisites, you’ll be notified during registration. You’ll be immersed in a blended learning environment using our iD Game Plan 2.0 engine, along with one-on-one instruction from our team of educators. Our approach allows you to learn at an appropriate, customized pace.
- Project-Based Curriculum: At iD, you learn by doing—it’s hands-on. You’ll work with industry-standard hardware and software, complete a final project, create an online portfolio, and bring your new tech knowledge into the real world.
- All-Adult Instructors: We don’t cut corners by hiring Counselors-in-Training. Instead, we employ energetic, tech-savvy, all-adult instructors to teach our courses and supervise our kids and teens. We recruit from thousands of candidates, and select from the best. It doesn’t hurt that we’ve been named a Top Workplace 6 years in a row, and that we have the reputation as the #1 Tech Camp on the planet. The top talent works at iD.
- Best of the Best: Many iD instructors are students or graduates of prestigious universities like Stanford, MIT, Princeton, and Yale. Some are industry professionals. Others began as iD students and have returned to give back to the next generation of innovators!
- A Taste of College: We eat right in the university dining halls! (If the dining hall is closed, we will bring in catered meals or eat in the university food court). The food is generally good at most campuses. More and more campuses are paying attention to important details like organic and sustainably-farmed food sources, kosher and vegetarian options, and a variety of overall healthier options.
Safety & Risk Management
- American Camp Association® Accreditation: iD Tech is accredited by the Southern California Region of the ACA—and we spread those best practices to each of our programs across the country. Being ACA accredited means we have met over 300 health and safety requirements.
- Background Checks: We conduct criminal background checks, sexual offender background checks, multiple reference checks and identification checks on all summer staff members.
- CPR & First-Aid: All program locations are staffed with CPR Certified Directors and Instructors.
- Risk Management Training: Our staff members attend in-person risk management training, and our content is updated every year as conditions change.
Tuition cost includes:
- Custom iD t-shirt
- iD Diploma with instructor insights
- 8:1 student to instructor ratio guarantee
- Final project portfolio with pen drive
- Access to online curriculum after camp
- Campus tours (most locations)
- Studio tours (most locations)
- Outdoor activities
- Gaming tournaments
- Software savings (most courses)
- New skills and self-confidence
About Harvard University
We have chosen Harvard University to host our summer teen camps in the Boston area because of the school's unparalleled reputation as one of the best universities in the nation, and maybe even the world. Founded in 1636, 16 years after the arrival of the Pilgrims at Plymouth, Harvard University is the oldest institution of higher learning in the United States. It has grown from nine students with a single master to an enrollment of more than 18,000 degree candidates, including undergraduates and graduate students in 10 principal academic units. Some of the most recognizable names in the history of the United States have graduated from Harvard, and its rich tradition and history make it the perfect teen camp location. This teen summer camp location is conveniently accessible by a short 15 minute subway ride or taxi ride from Boston's Logan Airport. Come check out our Boston summer camps!
The iD Game Deisgn & Development Academy held at Harvard is a one-of-a-kind offering for students seeking to get better at the art and science of game development. The program is intended for high-school-aged students ages 13-18. As part of the full university experience, students will eat in the campus dining halls and sleep in real dorms. All meals are included.
Please note: Map and campus details are for general information only. Once you enroll, you will have access to our specific location on campus.
Testimonials from Harvard University
What Parents Are Saying
"This is my son's 3rd year with iD Tech Camps. He has finally found a camp where he fits in and is doing something that gets him excited. He will definitely be back for another session next year." -Jane W., Parent, iD Game Design & Development Academy - Harvard Location
"Perfect environment for young students to get a head start. Thank you." -Berk D., Parent, iD Game Design & Development Academy - Harvard Location
"This was my son's first time away at an overnight camp. He was very comfortable with the facilities, the staff and housing. I would recommend the camp to other parents who may be cautious placing their child in someone else's hands for two weeks." -Kelly L., Parent, iD Game Design & Development Academy - Harvard Location
"My son's instructor appeared to be a great and very qualified UDK teacher. I was really impressed with her and the technical level of interaction she had with my son." -Bryan K., Parent, iD Game Design & Development Academy - Harvard Location
"My student's teacher was a wonderful and patient counselor. A pleasure to have on your team." -Susan M., Parent, iD Game Design & Development Academy - Harvard Location
What Students Are Saying
"This was an awesome course in which I learned a lot but also had a great time. The instructors were both very energetic and knowledgeable throughout the 2 weeks. They offered great personal help to everyone. I would recommend this course to anyone somewhat interested in the field of 3D modeling." -Alex H., Student, iD Game Design & Development Academy - Harvard Location
"This week was awesome! I loved the course. The instructors are great. They were knowledgeable and helpful." -Justin B., Student, iD Game Design & Development Academy - Harvard Location
"iD Game Design & Development Academy is an experience that I will never forget for the rest of my life. This camp really showed me that work can be hard, but also a whole bunch of fun. It taught me patience and perseverance. My instructors were really awesome, and they helped me learn a lot." -Alex C., Student, iD Game Design & Development Academy - Harvard Location
"My counselor was absolutely amazing. He was a great instructor, funny guy, knowledgeable, friendly, and caring. I wish he could be my instructor for programming forever. All of the staff & the director were incredibly friendly. I learned so much and had a great time. I wouldn't change a thing." -Alex V., Student, iD Game Design & Development Academy - Harvard Location
"The best part of the camp to me was the experience of making something that I can play over and over again and the coolest part was that I made the game." -Nick C., Student, iD Game Design & Development Academy - Harvard Location