iD Game Design & Development Academy Held at Lake Forest
Summer Courses for Teens Ages 13-18
iD Game Design & Development Academy at LFC
- Other Programs at this Location
iD Tech Camps
- Ages: 7-17
- Price: $$
- Duration: 1 Week
- Time: Day
- Topics: Game Design, Robotics, Programming, 3D Modeling
- Ages: 10-15
- Price: $$
- Duration: 1 Week
- Time: Day
- Topics: Filmmaking, Photography, Web Design, Programming, Game Design
iD Programming Academy
- Ages: 13-18
- Price: $$$
- Duration: 2 Weeks
- Time: Overnight
- Topics: Programming, Robotics
- iD Tech Camps
In 1999, our independent family company set out to reinvent “camp” for the 21st century. Today, we’re the number #1 tech camp on the planet, with summer technology programs for kids and teens held at over 100 prestigious campuses nationwide. At Lake Forest College in the Chicago, IL area, we offer three distinct co-ed programs: iD Game Design & Development Academy and iD Programming Academy for teens ages 13-18, and iD Tech Camps for ages 7-17.
At select locations, we also offer Alexa Café and iD Tech Mini. Across all programs, you'll experience personalized learning with a maximum of 8 students per instructor, and use the best brand name products from industry leaders like Adobe®, Apple®, Autodesk®, Google, and Microsoft®. Innovative courses. Your pace. Your internalDrive.
Summer 2015 Courses & Dates
iD Game Design & Development Academy Program Details
Co-ed | 2 Weeks | Intensive, Pre-College | Video Game Design and Development, Level Design, 3D Modeling & Animation
At iD Game Design & Development Academy, we offer 2-week, intensive programs covering game development, game programming, level design, and 3D modeling. Courses are for beginner to advanced teens ages 13-18. Work with industry-standard applications like Autodesk® Maya®, Adobe® Photoshop®, Unreal® Engine, and more. At our video game camp for teens, you’ll learn from elite faculty, create your own game development portfolio, tour a major game studio, meet new friends, and get a taste of the collegiate lifestyle. This summer, pursue your talents and passions, and gain a competitive advantage for college and beyond.
- Choose from game design camps, 3D modeling & animation courses, 3D level design classes, and more, designed to prepare you for college and your dream career. View all courses at this location.
- Work with professional software from industry leaders including Microsoft®, Autodesk®, and Unity
- Learn from qualified, adult faculty in small, personalized classes of 8 students maximum, guaranteed
- Tour a major game design studio and gain insight from industry professionals
- Show off your gaming skills in LAN tournaments (after instructional time)
- Graduate with an online portfolio
- Receive an (optional) Official Transcript with Continuing Education Units
- Win GUNNAR Advanced Gaming Eyewear glasses at each session
- 8:1 Ratio Guarantee: We do it differently—this isn’t school. We guarantee 8 students per instructor for personalized learning. Every time.
- Personalized Instruction: Your path, at your pace. Most of our courses are beginner through advanced. If a course has prerequisites, you’ll be notified during registration. You’ll be immersed in a blended learning environment using our iD Game Plan 2.0 engine, along with one-on-one instruction from our team of educators. Our approach allows you to learn at an appropriate, customized pace.
- Project-Based Curriculum: At iD, you learn by doing—it’s hands-on. You’ll work with industry-standard hardware and software, complete a final project, create an online portfolio, and bring your new tech knowledge into the real world.
- All-Adult Instructors: We don’t cut corners by hiring Counselors-in-Training. Instead, we employ energetic, tech-savvy, all-adult instructors to teach our courses and supervise our kids and teens. We recruit from thousands of candidates, and select from the best. It doesn’t hurt that we’ve been named a Top Workplace 5 years in a row, and that we have the reputation as the #1 Tech Camp on the planet. The top talent works at iD.
- Best of the Best: Many iD instructors are students or graduates of prestigious universities like Stanford, MIT, Princeton, and Yale. Some are industry professionals. Others began as iD students and have returned to give back to the next generation of innovators!
- A Taste of College: We eat right in the university dining halls! (If the dining hall is closed, we will bring in catered meals or eat in the university food court). The food is generally good at most campuses. More and more campuses are paying attention to important details like organic and sustainably-farmed food sources, kosher and vegetarian options, and a variety of overall healthier options.
Safety & Risk Management
- American Camp Association® Accreditation: iD Tech is accredited by the Southern California Region of the ACA—and we spread those best practices to each of our programs across the country. Being ACA accredited means we have met over 300 health and safety requirements.
- Background Checks: We conduct criminal background checks, sexual offender background checks, multiple reference checks and identification checks on all summer staff members.
- CPR & First-Aid: All program locations are staffed with CPR Certified Directors and Instructors.
- Risk Management Training: Our staff members attend in-person risk management training, and our content is updated every year as conditions change.
Tuition cost includes:
- Custom iD t-shirt
- iD Diploma with instructor insights
- 8:1 student to instructor ratio guarantee
- Final project portfolio with pen drive
- Access to online curriculum after camp
- Campus tours (most locations)
- Studio tours (most locations)
- Outdoor activities
- Gaming tournaments
- Software savings (most courses)
- New skills and self-confidence
About Lake Forest College
We have chosen Lake Forest College to host our summer teen camps in the Chicago area because of the school's convenient metropolitan location and lovely campus. The pristine and quiet 107-acre campus sits just a few blocks from Lake Michigan and is a short walk from quaint downtown Lake Forest. With its range of architectural styles and spacious park-like landscaping, Lake Forest College has access to a variety of resources for recreation, entertainment, culture, and enrichment in the surrounding communities and nearby Chicago, making it the perfect location for our line-up of intensive summer teen camps in Illinois.
The iD Game Design & Development Academy held at Lake Forest College is a one-of-a-kind offering for students seeking to get better at the art and science of game development. The program is intended for high-school-aged students ages 13-18. As part of the full university experience, students will eat in the campus dining halls and sleep in real dorms. All meals are included.
General Location: O'Hare International Airport and Midway are both 45-60 minutes away from the Lake Forest campus. Amtrak trains enter Chicago at Union Station. To reach Lake Forest from Chicago you will need to get to the Ogilvie Transportation Center where the METRA commuter train boards. The Ogilvie Transportation Center is located three long blocks north of Union Station at 500 West Madison Street, at the intersection of Madison and Canal Streets. There are two commuter lines that run to Lake Forest so be sure to board the Metra Union Pacific North Line. The train runs to and from Chicago 30 times a day.
Please note: Map and campus details are for general information only. Once you enroll, you will have access to our specific location on campus.
Testimonials from Lake Forest College
What Parents Are Saying
"I was so impressed with the camp as a whole. It is so nice to have a place where students' "special talents" can be recognized. My son will use this experience as a highlight on his college applications." -Karla D., Parent, Lake Forest iD Game Design & Development Academy
"I was very impressed with the knowledgeable and helpful staff at the iD Gaming Academy. My son really enjoyed his time at the camp and learned a lot of information that will be beneficial for his future game software experiences." -Tara B., Parent, Lake Forest iD Game Design & Development Academy
"Our son entered this camp with very little programming experience and in the span of two weeks, was able to build a finished game. There are lessons he learned that he will take with him as he pursues a career in the gaming industry. Thank you for all that you did for him." -Rosy S., Parent, Lake Forest iD Game Design & Development Academy
"My son received a good introduction to video game design during his time at the iD Gaming Academy. The instructors were very friendly and shared great tips on how to get into the video game design field." -Amanda W., Parent, Lake Forest iD Game Design & Development Academy
"Justin attended iD Tech Camps last year and enjoyed it so much that he returned this year for the iD Game Design & Development Academy. He is looking forward to coming back next year!" -Sandy O., Parent, Lake Forest iD Game Design & Development Academy
What Students Are Saying
"My experience at the iD Gaming Academy was quite enjoyable. I learned a lot, ate good food and made some interesting friends." -Chris S., Student, Lake Forest iD Game Design & Development Academy
"Completing my final project was so fun, and all the instructors were very knowledgeable." -Ketki L., Student, Lake Forest iD Game Design & Development Academy
"The instructors were very helpful and informative! It was fun to also see their silly side!" -Sora S., Student, Lake Forest iD Game Design & Development Academy
"The iD Gaming Academy was fun and educational, and I made a lot of new friends." -Ryan W., Student, Lake Forest iD Game Design & Development Academy
"This was definitely a good learning experience. My instructor was the best ever." -Kyle B., Student, Lake Forest iD Game Design & Development Academy