iD Tech 3D Model Contest for K–12 Students
Get ready to bring Minecraft into the real world! In this contest, you’ll design a 3D model or character that’s inspired by Minecraft. With free, easy-to-use software and instruction, anyone can create a 3D design—even if you’ve never tried 3D modeling before. So check out our 3D modeling and design resources, read the list of rules, and start designing a 3D, Minecraft-inspired model—the winning designs will be 3D printed by Shapeways!
This contest has three categories for students in grades K–12: (1) K–5th grade, (2) 6th–8th grade, and (3) 9th–12th grade.
NOT AN OFFICIAL MINECRAFT PRODUCT. NOT APPROVED BY OR ASSOCIATED WITH MOJANG.
Awesome Prizes for Each Winner
Need some extra incentive? We've teamed up with industry leaders Dremel and Shapeways to bring you the coolest, most cutting-edge 3D modeling and printing prizes. The winner from each group (K–5th grade, 6th–8th grade, and 9th–12th grade) will receive all of the following:
Dremel 3D Idea Builder Printer
(one for you AND one for your school)
Free Week of iD Tech Camps
A $500 Shapeways Credit and a Printed Model of Your 3D Design (up to $500)
*Total retail value of each prize package is approximately $2,700.00 - $3,200.00.
How to Enter
Submit Your Design on Shapeways
Create an account on Shapeways (you will need a parent or guardian's permission). You can either create a shop right now, or you will be prompted to later in the process. Click on the "Upload" button in the top right-hand corner. Locate your file and press "Upload." Once your object has loaded, click on the "Sell A Product" button. Assign a category for your object.
Under the Details tab in the product description field, describe your 3D model and why others would want to print it. We're looking for creativity. Your submission must be tagged with the following to be considered for the contest: #iDTech3DContest AND your appropriate group level: #3DElementary, #3DMiddle, or #3DHighSchool.
Share with Friends (Optional)
Share an image of your model on Facebook, Twitter, and/or Instagram to be featured on social media. Use hashtag #iDTech3DContest.
- Get Started
- Design Your Digital 3D Model
- Use the tools and tips from Autodesk to start designing. Innovate, get creative, and develop something that functions well and looks awesome! View judging criteria.
- Submit Your Design on Shapeways
- Create an account on Shapeways.com (you will need a parent or guardian's permission to do this).
- Upload your file to Shapeways in one of the following formats: DAE, OBJ, STL, X3D, X3DB, X3DV, or WRL.
- If your model has multiple pieces, please submit all of the separate parts but label them so we know they go together. For example, "Solar System (Part 1 of 2), Solar System (Part 2 of 2)," etc.
- Make sure your file is set to "public" and tag it with #Innovate3D as well as one of the following tags based on your grade level: #3DElementary, #3DMiddle, or #3DHigh.
- Jump to Official Rules for complete submission guidelines.
- Describe Your Design
- In the product description field, explain what inspired you and how your 3D model will make learning easier and more fun. We're looking for a compelling explanation that showcases the creativity and functionality of your design!
- Make sure to include your current age and grade.
- Share your 3D Model (Optional)
- If you share an image of your 3D model on social media, we encourage you to use #Innovate3D and tag @iDTechCamps @Shapeways @DremelEdu @Autodesk.
Entries must be submitted by 11:59pm PST on Friday, April 15, 2016. Winners will be be announced through social media and contacted via email by the end of April, 2016. Good luck!
How Are Winners Chosen?
Submissions will be evaluated based on the following criteria ranked in order of importance:
- Creativity and originality of the idea
- Adhering to the Minecraft visual style
- How well the design will look when it’s printed in 3D
- A compelling written explanation of your 3D model and why others would want to print it
Rules & Guidelines
We know you're ready to get creative. But first, let's get some basic info out of the way.
- The entry period begins at 8:00am PT on Monday, March 7, 2016 and ends at 11:59pm PT on Friday, April 15, 2016.
- The contest is open to U.S. residents enrolled in K–12th grade who have permission from their parent or guardian to participate.
- Submissions will be divided into three age groups:
- K–5th grade (#3DElementary)
- 6th–8th grade (#3DMiddle)
- 9th–12th grade (#3DHighSchool)
- Only one submission per student.
- One winner will be selected from each age group.
- By entering this contest, Participant and their parent(s)/guardian(s) agree to be bound by all the rules and regulations set out in the Official Rules.
Winners will be be announced through social media and contacted via email by the end of April 2016.
View Official Rules for complete information regarding eligibility, the entry process, and prizes.